"I'm not in it for the money. I'm not in it for the accolades. I'm in it because it is RIGHT."
--John Kuhn, Superintendent of Perrin-Whitt School District in Texas

Friday, June 22, 2007

Chew on This

I am going to try to keep this short(ish), in contrast to my general verbosity.

I really enjoyed the book - I had a really hard time putting it down, and now that I've been done with it for almost a week, I still keep thinking about it. It just really resonated with me, and I was just disturbed by the pervasiveness of this issue. There are just so many problems with it all: marketing to kids, "Americanization" of the world, obesity, animal maltreatment, the economic exploitation of farmers/ranchers/etc, the pollutive effect of bringing food from so far away...

It came to my mind while perusing the "nature market" and organic fruit/veg section at the Kroger. I was looking at some organic cherries, and they'd been shipped all the way from California. Wasting of gas and the inevitable pollution even though they were organic. And who knows what the working conditions of the pickers were and how much the orchard owners made before selling to the company. Even the Stonyfield Farms yogurt that I bought (which is made back home in New Hampshire with no artificial anything) used up a lot of resources getting here to Kentucky...I know the 2-day trip well. Though their business practices look quite good, wouldn't it be better - more environmentally concious - to buy local yogurt?

But is there even local yogurt? And for what local stuff there is (Kroger had bread made in a local bakery)...what do we know about the ingredients they use? Where did their wheat come from?

How can we possibly get it right in a world taken over by corporations and monopolies?

No comments: